How To Rent An Apartment In Carmel
Getting ready to lease your first apartment? Or perhaps it’s been quite some time since you leased one, and now you’re starting the steps again. Here are a few tips on how to rent an apartment in Carmel, from figuring out how much you can spend to selecting the right apartment and completing the application.
What Can You Afford?
What you should do at the outset is determine your budget. You wouldn’t want to fall in love with an apartment only to realize it’s well out of your range. Think about your finances before you tour that fantastic two-bedroom unit with a nature view. Here’s some guidance to help you.
- Look at your net income - what’s left after taxes - and subtract your present bills (credit cards, loan payments, etc.).
- Anticipate unpredicted charges like flat tires and urgent healthcare. In general, add 10 percent to your total expenses.
- Estimate expenses at your new unit, such as utilities and groceries. If you need a starting point, designate $250 a month for each one.
- How often do you dine out? Approximate your monthly entertainment and dining budget.
- What do you have left? This is what you can allocate for rent. Now is the time to determine if you’ll need a roommate.
Selecting The Right Apartment In Carmel
Exploring different complexes and floor plans is enjoyable but also time-intensive. Make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to search around - at least a month or two. Your initial step is to figure out your preferred location. How close do you wish to be to your office or school? Are you looking in the city or in outlying areas? Is there nightlife and shopping close by? Knowing the location will be greatly beneficial.
You in all likelihood already know the number of bedrooms you’ll require, so you can direct your attention on selecting your favorite floor plan. Next, you should think about what amenities you want. Is a fitness center or swimming pool essential? Do you need a community open to pets? Making these decisions will streamline your search.
Completing The Application Process
After you’ve found an apartment, you must finish the application process. You’ll need to be ready with photo identification, proof of income, and references. You’ll usually pay an application fee to offset the cost of credit and background checks. If you intend to use a co-signer, let the leasing agent know before getting too far along, as they may not be allowed.
The application process will typically involve the following:
- Pay an application fee
- Submit an application form
- Expect background and credit checks
- Sign the agreement
On the actual application form, you should plan to show the information below:
- Phone number, name, email, and present address
- Employment and income amount
- Prior address(es)
- Pets (if applicable)
- Who to call in case of emergency
- References - you may be asked to provide past landlords or personal and professional references
Come Home To The Right Apartment At North Haven Apartments
Leasing an apartment in Carmel is easy at North Haven Apartments. We have a wide choice of amenities and floor plans to fit your lifestyle. Arrange a tour to explore our property or dial 317-350-1875 to talk with one of our friendly leasing representatives about how to rent one of our apartments in Carmel.