Safety is a leading concern for everyone from first-year occupants to long-standing Residents. Your apartment is your retreat, a place where you are able to feel shielded and comfortable. Sustaining that sense of security is crucial to the well-being of your loved ones and even your four-legged companions. Learning good habits and making a few updates to your unit may keep you away from dangerous situations. All you have to do is follow these simple tips for securing your apartment in Carmel.
Always Practice Safe Habits
Your property already has various security features in place to help keep occupants safe and sound, but you must use them correctly! Be sure to shut all doors and gates once you pass through them, particularly if it can only be operated with a card, key, or passcode from a Resident, like a health center or pool. If your complex uses a buzzer system or keypad codes to gain entry, use them only for your own visitors. Allowing in someone you don’t know may cause a dangerous situation for you and other Residents!
In respect to your fellow Residents, they are important in securing your apartment in Carmel. Get to know your people in your building and learn which units they live in. Knowing this helps you identify if any shady people are lurking about. Your fellow tenants may also be looking out for your best interests should an unwanted event arise. Ultimately, safety is everyone’s responsibility!
Devices to Secure Your Apartment in Carmel
Security devices are paramount to keeping your place secure. Below are some common and useful devices and how to incorporate them:
- Locks and bolts: Your access points like your main entry come with locks - use them! Prowlers look for the path of least resistance. Locking your doors and windows before bed and prior to leaving is many times all you need to dissuade the common burglar.
- Security bar: A sliding rear entry is known to be a likely attack point. Placing a metal or wood bar along the track to stop it from opening makes it nearly impossible for entry.
- Video cameras: Your building could have video surveillance installed to safeguard Residents, but integrating your own may be a good idea. Situate them by entrances like your sliding door or above a main hallway in the apartment to keep a watchful eye.
- Programmable lights: A straightforward way for securing your apartment in Carmel is to integrate lighting that will make would-be intruders think you’re home. Smart light bulbs that have the ability to be set to switch on at certain points or managed via a smartphone app will make it appear like occupants are inside.
- Curtains: As simple as it sounds, limiting vision into your apartment keeps prized possessions away from prying eyes and keeps criminals guessing if you’re at home.
Getting Locks Rekeyed Or Replaced Is A Good Idea
Prior to moving in, it’s a good idea to find out if the front door lock has been switched out or rekeyed. Making sure you have updated locks is a great idea to be certain the previous renter can’t gain access to your new apartment. On the chance it hasn’t been changed, this is a job the property management should take care of for you.
Renters Insurance Is Essential
Regardless of whether you implement all of these suggestions on how to secure your apartment in Carmel, renters insurance is still essential. Your policy will back you up and help you replace damaged or stolen belongings should something occur. Protect yourself with a renters insurance plan.
Would You Like To Select Your New Place In Carmel?
Now that you know how to secure your apartment in Carmel, it’s time to pick your new place at North Haven Apartments. We have roomy floor plans, courteous personnel, and the sought-after amenities you are looking for. Contact us at or schedule a tour to begin.